Friday, June 24, 2005

Interesting conversations

After pointing out to Sarah that the big old machine in the lab made noices that sounded like the heavy breath of...what's his name...in the Star Wars movie...who wares a black cape...Darth Vader! (Oh, is that his name?), she began to think I was a really funny guy. That was roughly 12 years ago in 1993.

Since then we had another work-related phone conversation that went something like this:

She (in serious voice): You're calling me at the worst possible time!
Me: Oh, really? What's the second worst time to call?
She: Saturday morning...
Me: Oh, can I call you then?
She (giggles): No...

That was one of the few lightest moments in those dry and strenuous days of my life.

Perhaps in hers, too.

Years later in c1, when "Star Wars Episode I" was about to release (and the media hype was at its highest), I had another moment like that with two of my colleagues, J and K. It went like this:

K: xxx is here today.
J (in surprise): He's here?
Me: Yeah. Can't you feel the disturbance of the Force?
K (laughed furiously)...

At about the same period, another unrelated but equally interesting conversation:

Y: What's the guy's name?
J: Neal.
Y: Yeah, but what's his name?
J: Neal.
Y (a bit irratated): I know he's new. WHAT IS HIS NAME?
J: Neal.
Y: ...
Me (to Y): Ok, his name IS Neal.
J (broke out to laughter)...
Y (face turned red)...

Alas. That was the past. I wish I could go back and change a few things...
<>

No comments: