Tuesday, March 08, 2005

The thick wall

Many times in life I feel I'm in front of a thick wall. There's no way around it and I have to somehow get through it. The situation reminds me of the graduate school days when I made no progress in my research project for weeks. Pressured by time and commitments, frustrated by the complexity or difficulties of the problems, I'd feel ashamed and discouraged.

Sometimes I wish I can find a crack in the wall and use a sharp tool to make it bigger so the wall would crumble; sometimes I feel I need a strong and powerful drill to penetrate and make a breakthrough (the image of a coal mine worker in the narrow and obsure underground tunnel). At other times I feel I just need to have the persistence to push the wall and move it a little bit each day (especially with people, where hard methods wouldn't work so well), and eventually it'll tip over and fall on its own weight.

Most of the time I feel I lack those tools or the character. And I wander around. I waste time on browsing the web or entering mindless blogs (writing and editing it). I don't talk to other people in those situations (why bother others).

Exercise is a way to help me in the long run. I think if I'd swim or play balls then my focus and attention would restore over time.

Vision is the sharp tool; focus and sustained attention are the drill head that is made of diamond, which would cut through any hard problems.

It's all in the mind.

A clear mind, a sharp vision, a strong will and resilience. Those are the four foundation characters I believe I need to overcome the walls and roadblocks on my way. On top of that, I just need the wisdom to know which one is the best way.

No comments: